New Ideas and Suggestions

Want to shape colwiz with your ideas? Let us know your ideas and suggestions, and together, we will make colwiz even more awesome!

I think...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. More powerful search function accross the entire app

I think BOTH the web-based app and desktop app need more powerful search across the entire article database; article keywords, abstracts, publication notes, text within the PDFs, internal PDF notes/highlights, etc. The internal PDF search is good for a single PDF, but this functionality needs to work in search for all available articles and content. As a writer/researcher I'm tying together ideas/notes from hundreds of articles and these need to be instantly searchable alongside the article content.

Google Drive is the only app that can satisfy this search requirement. If colwiz could take that functionality, or integrate with google drive,…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for your valuable comments, such feedback is integral to continuous improvement of our software. Our search function is undergoing substantial modification at present. Currently we are focusing on expediting database searches to minimise delays when users search and add new references to their colwiz Library. This process is nearing completion, at which point we aim to incorporate more of the search functionality you describe, into both our Desktop and Web applications.

Regarding your side note, we agree that several companies fail to the hit mark by trying to address too many concerns through one application. However, we believe our core objective, which aims to accelerate research by providing reference management, collaboration and productivity features in an all-in-one workspace environment, will help save researchers time by not having to switch between applications. We recognise that some of our core features still require refinement, and are working hard…

2. Improvments on PDF Reader

The PDF Reader needs some improvments:

- Please make it faster and more fluid (both when openning documents and when scrolling through pages)
    - Make the highlighting tool more intuitive by allowing the user to select text and then highlight (the Apple iBook's way is really convenient in this regard) instead of drawing a rectangle!
    - Also please make the highlighting feature compatible to other apps, so if I import a pdf document with some highlighted text, done in say adobe reader, the colwiz reader should be able to recognise that and allow me to edit/remove it like the native…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add smart collections

Collections are nice, but smart collections are better (collections automatically created based on keywords, search results, etc...).

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Read/unread differentiation

In Mendeley there is a column where you can see if you have read or opened an article or not. I think this functionality is so valuable and I would like to see it in Colwiz

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to make this suggestion, which we agree would be a neat feature! This has been ticketed for future implementation with our development team.

Best wishes,
    colwiz Team

5. Tell the user whether import succeeded ot not

At the moment it can silently fail, perhaps because the paper is already there, and perhaps not.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for posting. Try downloading the latest version of colwiz off our website and see if the problem persists.

Also mention the source which you are importing from.

6. Have one paper in multiple folders

I came from Mendeley due to their lack of an android app, but I miss the ability to have a single paper in multiple folders.
    As papers often span multiple topics it makes sense to allow them to be in multiple categories. This is especially useful for librarys that contain large numbers of papers and searching by keywords is not efficent.
    As far as implimentation, I think mendeleys is quite nice - having a paper selected also shows the other folders it is in by having them lightly highligted on the left column.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

First off, we’re really glad you took interest in colwiz and tried it out. Always a pleasure to have users shift to our platform and help us improve through their feedback.

The feature you’re requesting is already present in our desktop application though. Just select the desired publication(s) and right-click and select “copy to” in the resulting menu. Do you think there is a way to further improve this functionality? Do let us know about it and keep those ideas coming :)

7. Subgroup in library

I think it would be nice if you include the option to have subgroups in the individual groups.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a function to import open pdf files from browsers.

At the moment it seems that references can only be imported from a web browser using specific search engines, and from their search results or publication information pages. Being able to directly download pdfs (and the corresponding citation info) that are open in a web browser would make the web importer more versatile.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Optional field for LaTeXed title

Publications (in my field, at least) often have formulae in their titles. As well as the main "title" field, it would be useful to have an optional second field where one could add LaTeX code, which would then be used in place of the plain text title when exporting to BibTeX.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I need to be able to view a collection by keywords.

I work for a research centre. The current ability to view the keywords for the entire library is fine and the results are presented well, but I need the ability to view keywords by collection, so I can compare the keywords from publications of different collections.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve metadata collection from imported citations

Even if I imprt the publicatoin from pubmed the metadata like volume, pages, year don't get automatically improted. This need to be fixed urgently otherwise it will cost us so much time to do it again.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Sync between Sony Reader and Colwiz

I have a Sony Reader. It will be nice to provide some applications, where I can sync between my library in colwiz and Sony Reader, so that I can access my library wherever I go.This will also facilitate to use my library even when I dont have internet , for e.g. while travelling!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

While we currently don’t have plans to specifically incorporate the ability to sync with Sony Reader, we do have other alternatives for you for accessing your library while you’re traveling.

colwiz app can be used on iPhone iPad and we have an Android phone and tablet release coming very shortly.

13. Folder Flexibility

It would be nice if it would be possible to move the folders of the Library and to achieve more flexibility. So new projects (folder) may be also listed above and not as the lowest folder

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Citation from captions

Adding a citation inside a figure caption doesn't work (Word Office 2010, Windows 7). The citation is given number "1", and the reference is not added to the bibliography with the citations from the main body text.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you tell us how you’re inserting the picture on your document? Are you doing it by going into the “Insert” tab and selecting the “Picture” button? Or by some other way? Thank you.

15. Bibtex code method to add papers

For example just by submit these codes to colwiz to import this paper

@article{PhysRevLett.110.168702,
    title = {Causal Entropic Forces},
    author = {Wissner-Gross, A. D. and Freer, C. E.},
    journal = {Phys. Rev. Lett.},
    volume = {110},
    issue = {16},
    pages = {168702},
    numpages = {5},
    year = {2013},
    month = {Apr},
    publisher = {American Physical Society},
    doi = {10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.168702},
    url = {http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.168702}
    }

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a great idea, and one in fact we used to implement. However, due to low usage it was removed in a previous software update. Your idea request has been ticketed to our developers, so please keep an eye on our blog (http://blog.colwiz.com/) where forthcoming updates will be reported. In the meantime, you should be able to paste the code into notepad and manually assign ‘.bib’ to the resulting saved file, which you can then drag and drop into colwiz.

16. Merge two journals

At present there is a "merge" button for authors (useful if you have the same author's name spelled two slightly different ways) but no corresponding button for journals, which I think would be useful to have.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Journal title not being abbreviated correctly

[Reposting. My first attempt had a typo that said the opposite of what I meant]

For example, using the Nature style in Word 2010 on Windows 7, the journal "American Journal of Physiology-Heart And Circulatory Physiology" gets abbreviated as "Am. J. Physiol. Hear. Circ. Physiol.".

The ISI Journal Title Abbreviation

http://www.efm.leeds.ac.uk/~mark/ISIabbr/A_abrvjt.html

should be

Am J Physiol-Heart C

Maybe you are using another system, but most certainly, "Heart" shouldn't be abbreviated as "Hear"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

New Ideas and Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base