New Ideas and Suggestions

Want to shape colwiz with your ideas? Let us know your ideas and suggestions, and together, we will make colwiz even more awesome!

I think...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Correcting details of an article

Some of the citation data may not be correct or incomplete. You have provided an option to edit the fields of each citation entry manual. Considering the tools already available in Colwiz, that is not an efficient solution. I am suggesting for you to make this correction of citation details automatic by using online searching of Google scholar or any other database where such information available.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Shemsedin,

Many thanks for your suggestion. We have a variety of exciting updates that are due for release in the coming weeks – please standby! Currently, using an article’s doi to source correct citation information through the 30+ databases in colwiz is a quick and easy method to update entries that display incorrect info.

Warm regards,
    colwiz Team

2. In app pdf viewer

Instead of a separate app.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enhancing PDF saving

When saving a PDF on a drive, automatic naming based on cilation data will be great e.g. FirstName_date_title.pdf

Saving all the PDF from a folder at the same time will also be great - We may need to make a backup or to share a folder content.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add pdf preview panel

PDF preview side panel will be a great enhancement. One best remembers a paper by its visual appearance.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Citation plugin for 'Pages' (mac writing software)

I started exploring your app yesterday, and as a PHD student I have to say it is by far the most useful citation software I have been able to find.

My suggestion->
    For the desktop app: Please provide 'cite as you write' or something similar that enable inserting citations, and adding bibliography automatically, for the 'Pages' writing software for Mac.

Also, I noted that annotations made in external editors display as 'strike-through' in mac desktop application, making highlighted text unreadable.

Thank you for a great application

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there!

We’re humbled by your compliment. We put in a lot of effort to make sure that all the required features and necessary tools are built into colwiz. Feedback like yours is very valuable as it helps us do that.

As you are aware, colwiz supports Word, Open Office and LaTeX editors on Mac. We will certainly consider adding support for Pages in future.

We will keep updated on its progress and hopefully have it resolved by the time the next update rolls out.

Many thanks for the feedback. Stay in touch and have a great day :)

6. keyboard shortcuts

Promising tool! Please consider adding keyboard shortcuts for all elements in the desktop app.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Citelighter like notes, send to word...

It would be awesome to create notes like in Citelighter, where we can later order and select the notes that we want to export to word with citations, this way we can research, read, annotate and at the same time we are already somehow creating the end document (paper, thesis...).

thank you.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Many thanks for your feedback! Your idea is similar to an ongoing development project our engineers are hard at work with. Please hold tight and I think you’ll be pleased with the results! Check out our blog, where we will soon be posting new and upcoming releases (http://blog.colwiz.com/).

colwiz Team

8. Smoother editing within the Desktop App

When viewing publications its quick and easy to add notes to an article, but the editor for everything else (keywords, authors, year, abstract, etc) is clunky and difficult to edit. Can this be improved?

Perhaps if the article info could be extracted from PDF uploads this would not be such an issue.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Many thanks for your feedback, it is invaluable to the improvement of colwiz. At present, we are undergoing some significant engineering changes, where we are implementing the modern utility of HTML5 technology in place of previously used Flash software. This should greatly enhance the features that are causing you concern.

To address your second question:

The colwiz Library is designed to extract metadata from an imported PDF. However, PDFs with illustrative content can cause issues for metadata extraction. In such instances, you can use the DOI search to append reference metadata to any article missing citation information, which is in your colwiz Library.

colwiz Team

9. advanced search function for desktop app

It would be great to enable searching through the local library specifically inside titles, abstract, journal names, etc.

THX a lot for colwiz! :)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Couldn’t agree more. An advanced search option would do wonders for users of all types. It’s definitely something that’s planned and we’ll try to get it out as soon as we can.

Thanks so much for your input :)

10. Add support for high DPI screens

Windows 8 scaling makes the UI appear very blurry, but disabling the scaling makes the UI too small to be usable. The software seems like exactly what I'd like, but I am unable to use it sadly.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Find duplicates using checksum and hash on PDF files

Finding duplicates using DOI info is nice, but not all files have DOIs.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

True! But then colwiz also has other Data Identifiers like pubmed and arXivID apart from DOIs as fallback solutions.

Do you have something else in mind regarding this?

Thanks for posting!

12. Add a folder for publications which info couldn't be extracted automatically

When Colwiz cannot extract the info from a PDF file or "has a doubt" about the extracted info, the publication should be put in a "Needs review" folder.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fullscreen support for MacOs Mountain Lion

Would it be possible to create a Full screen functionality for the Mac Mountain Lion OS?

Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi!

We have been considering adding support for a fullscreen experience on Mac , both the Library and Reader applications.

Keep an eye out on Blogs and Twitter, we will update you once this is made available.

Thanks for the feedback!

14. implement tags (in addition to the existing keywords)

The keyword list of my library is spammed with automatic keywords from pubmed which makes it difficult to find my own personal keywords. I think a good way around this would be to allow the user to not import these predefined keywords when importing a paper. Alternatively, a new type of keywords, e.g. tags, could be used to separate personal and automatic keywords.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The ability to search for personal keywords is definitely supported by our Desktop Library. If you select “View as table” option on top while you’re present in the keywords page, you’ll see a search bar on top which will allow you to search for keywords that you have personally assigned to references.

However, we do see your point. The navigation in this particular case can be improved..

15. Make the Desktop app Retina display ready

because right now, all these pixels look a bit ugly on my screen :-)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Import from local Mendeley database

The current Mendeley import is pulling the info from the Mendeley website. It'll be more efficient if it could import from the local Mendeley database: faster and capable of retrieving the pdfs directly from the hard drive.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand this must be very convenient for our users to import their data directly from Mendeley’s Database and we’re trying to come up with a permanent solution for it. This idea is definitely being explored by the team.

However if you want a quicker import, you can always do it as a BibTeX file. Export your Mendeley data as a BibTeX and import it into colwiz.

Thanks for posting!

17. it really hard to open multiple attachments at same time

so I suggest to Open attached files in new tap.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Mac app - losing all annotation when a comment includes the double quote char

So I've been round and recreated the problem a few times so I'm happy its reportable.
    Although it seems like an issue that others would have hit already if it were a global issue.
    I'm finding that I lose all annotations to a pdf when I include a comment with the double quote (") character.
    I'm using version 2.13.
    Feel free to drop me an email if you would like more details.

Also on the suggestions front, a way to add links to annotations (to other docs in colwiz and urls) would save alot of time.

Great app tho,
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Many thanks for the support, we’re glad you’re enjoying using colwiz. Regarding the issue you have faced with annotation, this is unique at present but this has been reported to our support team, so they can flag up similar issues if they arise. If you need any assistance do not hesitate to contact support@colwiz.com, which is our dedicated support channel.

Your suggestion is a neat idea, I have passed this on to our developers for future implementation.

Kind regards,
    colwiz Team

• Don't see your idea?

New Ideas and Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base